Thursday, December 14, 2017

Popular Camry gets a decidedly positive upgrade

A menu of Mark Glover’s AutoGlo car reviews can be seen on the Business page of The Sacramento Bee’s website  www.sacbee.com/news/business/article4005306.html

Sacramento, California – You hold your breath when an automaker decides to rework a hugely popular model … Just ask the designers who remade the Ford Taurus with disastrous results a generation ago.

For the 2018 model year, Toyota dug in on its Toyota Camry sedan, a longtime hall-of-fame money maker.

I’m happy to report that, not only did Toyota do no harm, it upgraded the Camry into something remarkable.

Camry critics have long conceded that it’s a reliable, feature-loaded mainstream driver, but in the same breath they have dismissed it as a vanilla-looking car with performance characteristics that fall far short of getting the pulse racing.

Not so now.

My recent week in the 2018 Toyota Camry XSE provided a feast for the eyes and the heartbeat.

My ride was equipped with the 3.5-liter V-6 rated at 301 horsepower, and I was stunned at its robust performance from a standing start and amid fast-moving traffic.  Acceleration was so brisk that the same exclamation kept bouncing around in my brain: “I can’t believe this is a Camry.”

The performance rush is backed up with a dynamic restyling that makes the Camry look aggressive, but not gaudy.

If tepid looks and performance have been holding back prospective Camry buyers in past years, they no longer have any excuses.

By the way, fuel mileage on my V6 was pretty darn good at 22 miles per gallon in the city and 32 mpg on the highway.

Everything else I experienced was vintage Camry: comfortable seating, thoughtfully laid out controls and a generous list of safety, comfort and convenience features.

This being the XSE version, yes, the bottom line price of $38,230 on my ride was a bit hefty.  But my experience tells me that Camry buyers tend to keep their purchases for the long haul.  The long-term math, for them, works out well.

Bottom line: For 2018, an exceptional passenger car gets even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment