Thursday, March 8, 2018

Is it a Corvette? A Ferrari? Yikes, it's a Lexus

A menu of Mark Glover’s AutoGlo reviews of the latest motor vehicle models also can be seen on The Sacramento Bee’s website at www.sacbee.com/news/business/article4005306.html

This review first appeared in the February 2018 edition of the Northern & Central California Cruisin’ News published out of Folsom, California – mg

Sacramento, California As I walked into the parking lot, I thought to myself: “Wow, I wasn’t expecting a Corvette” And then when I was closer to the delivered vehicle, that changed to: “Is that a Ferrari?!”

Standing next to it, the truth hit home.  It was a Lexus, an all-new 2018 Lexus LC 500, one of the automaker’s all-new new flagship performance, rear-driving coupes.

Sleek, sculpted, angled in just the right places and clad in brighter-than-bright “Infrared” paint, the LC 500 absolutely could have passed for a Corvette or a Ferrari at first glance.  And there were other similarities.

Stepping into the cockpit transported me to a world of luxury and primo sports car bliss.

I sat in a 10-way power, heated/ventilated, leather seat that instantly contoured to my frame.  Electroluminescent gauges and read-outs cast a warm glow throughout the cabin.  The audio system was a Mark Levinson surround-sound scorcher with 13 speakers. Three-point belts for all seats (with force-limiting pretensioners, of course).  Can’t forget the on-board Siri Eyes Free technology, or the easy-to-use heads-up display.

The long list of safety features included state-of-the-art systems capable of controlling multiple car functions on the move.  Getting into trouble in this ride would be a challenge; that’s how sophisticated the safety systems are in the LC 500.

But who am I kidding?  The best part was starting it up and putting the LC 500 through its paces.  What a rush!

I barely tapped the accelerator feeding fuel to the 5-liter, 32-valve V-8 with 471 horsepower, and the LC 500 responded with a press-me-to-the-seat blast that was accentuated by a deep roar from the front end.  It was almost scary knowing how much I had left to give with my right foot.  Triple-digit speeds are just a subtle toe tap away.

Power was dished up so smoothly, however, that I never had a sense that I was overmatched by the car.  It rode rock-steady, with not even a hint of side sway.

The 10-speed transmission functioned with seamless precision, and yes, you can do those gear-changing chores with the steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters.

Ridiculously strong, responsive brakes with high-friction pads brought the tester to heel with seemingly no effort whatsoever.

As I blazed past virtually everything on the road on 21-inch forged wheels, I could see the open-mouthed stares of fellow motorists.  Some sped up, to my bumper … perhaps to confirm that this really was a Lexus and not some super-exotic model hand-built in an immaculate European garage.

Sure, there were looks of envy.  If only they knew; the LC 500 was mine for only a week.

Those wishing to make it theirs for the long term need to bring sufficient funds to wrap around the starting price of $92,000.  With extras, the bottom line on my tester was a heart-stopping $102,890.

Which I had no problem with … Lexus should have a show-stopping model at the top of its food chain.

In the LC 500 coupe, it has a beauty.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment