Thursday, April 19, 2018

There's plenty to like in the Mazda CX-5 sport-ute

A menu of Mark Glover’s AutoGlo car reviews can be seen on the Business page of The Sacramento Bee’s website  www.sacbee.com/news/business/article4005306.html

Sacramento, California – It can’t carry as much cargo as some other sport-utility vehicles.  It’s not exactly laden with high horsepower.  And it tends to make a fair amount of noise when you do ask it for maximum performance.

And yet, I found myself liking the tested 2018 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD SUV on a recent trip over to California’s Napa/Sonoma Wine Country.

I liked the flashy “Soul Red Crystal Metallic" paint job.

I liked the reasonable starting price of $30,945, boosted on my ride by almost $4,000 with some premium options.

I liked the five-seater’s generous helping of standard features, including leather upholstery, a power moonroof and LED lights all around.

I liked the strong lineup of safety features that helped make this CX-5 a “Top Safety Pick” by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

I liked its handling characteristics and the way it easily maneuvered through tight parking lots.

And I liked the fuel mileage ratings of 24 miles per gallon in the city and 30 mpg on the highway.

In fact, giving it further thought, the tested CX-5 carried an ample amount of suitcases and wine … more than I could consume over a long stretch.

And the 2.5-liter, four-cylinder engine with 187 horsepower handled pretty much everything I could throw at it, and it cruised easily and quietly on the freeways.

In short, the CX-5 has just about everything the practical SUV buyer would want for family outings, daily commutes and extended road trips … all without dropping 50-grand or spending the family fortune at the gas pumps.

One gripe I had with the tester was the overly sensitive blind spot monitor, which sometimes sounded when I was a good 50 feet beyond a trailing car traveling 20 mph slower than myself.

That being said, this CX-5 stacks up as a worthy competitor to big sellers such as the Honda CR-V, the Subaru Forester and the Toyota RAV4.  I suppose it’s all a matter of personal taste, and if you’re a big fan of Mazda’s motor vehicles. I'm not surprised that the CX-5 is Mazda's best-selling vehicle in the United States.

My ride contributed to an enjoyable week in the Wine Country.  I offer a toast and a sincerely meant CHEERS!

No comments:

Post a Comment