Thursday, August 23, 2018

Toyota Tacoma pickup is decidedly off-road-worthy

A menu of Mark Glover’s AutoGlo car reviews can be seen on the Business page of The Sacramento Bee’s website  www.sacbee.com/news/business/article4005306.html

Sacramento, California -- Toyota sells a bunch of Toyota Tacoma pickups, and I've enjoyed my share of various reliable midsize Tacomas over the years.

The recently tested 2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4X4 Double Cab pickup was a different animal.  It too was enjoyable, for different reasons.

OK, I'm not an off-roading jockey who likes to take a full day smashing through mud, streams and fallen logs on some remote Sierra Nevada foothills trail.  But I was completely convinced that my Tacoma was more than up for that task.

With a tall ride height and imposing-looking tires that seemed capable of leveling a national forest over a long weekend, the tester was all menace and monster machine, made even more intimidating in "Barcelona Red" paint.  The most reckless off-road warrior would be challenged to get high-centered or on his lid in this model, equipped with a blizzard of state-of-the-art driving assists for climbing up and over rocks, hills and through fast-moving waters.

Impressive?  Very.  Even for a comparatively civilized pavement driver like myself.

Speaking of that, the Tacoma was a smooth suburban driver and remarkably nimble when I put it through some quick-lane-change maneuvers and urban slalom runs.  Those muscular tires did make some major noise on freeway surfaces, but hey, they're supposed to do that.  I wouldn't whine about tire noise if I was on the Rubicon Trail, believe me.

For all its brutish off-road charms, the tester's interior was comfortable and classy.  Lots of room for beefy adults in the cabin and a nice layout of comfort/convenience features within easy reach of the driver's seat.  A strong list of safety features made me feel secure in all conditions.

Fuel mileage is not so hot at only 18 miles per gallon in the city and 22 mpg on the highway.

I sometimes have dreamed of being a Northern California rancher big shot, living in a sprawling, comfortable rock house with a fireplace the approximate size of Vermont.  I've fantasized about all that would require.

Take it from me: Number one on that list would be purchasing this off-road-worthy Toyota Tacoma.

No comments:

Post a Comment