Thursday, August 22, 2019

Volkswagen's Golf SportWagen is practical and peppy

Mark Glover’s AutoGlo car reviews also can be seen in the Northern & Central California Cruisin’ News magazine published monthly out of Folsom, California.

Sacramento, California -- Words you don't hear much from car shoppers these days: I'm looking for a wagon.

True enough, but if you are looking, might I suggest a visit to your local Volkswagen dealership.

I offer this up after a recent week in a 2019 VW Golf SportWagen 1.4T SE, a nifty little wagon with surprising pop and a long list of customer-pleasing standard features.  And you get a pretty good bonus on the fuel mileage as well -- 27 miles per gallon in the city and 36 mpg on the highway.

The SportWagen is what I would call a specific destination for prospective buyers.  There are so many compact crossover sport-utility vehicles out there that the analytical mind might ask:  Why would I purchase a wagon?

I can hazard a guess or two.  You love Volkswagen products.  You like the lean, aerodynamic look of a wagon as opposed to the various look-alikes on the SUV market.  And maybe you even want something unique with a German name.

So here's why I think you might like the Golf SportWagen.  First off, I thought they were joking when they told me the 1.4-liter turbo-4 was rated at a max 147 horsepower.  The engine felt way more powerful than that.  I would have guessed 180 on a blind test.  The torque rating -- 184 foot-pounds -- is more in line with the performance characteristics of the car.

Said characteristics found me blazing around freeway stragglers and surface street pokes with equal delight.  147 horses?  C'mon, really ?!

This SE version of the Golf SportWagen was $30,890 on the bottom line, but that included pretty much everything in a generous lineup of standard features.

Safety features ran the high-technology gamut (my ride had a max five-star score in overall crash tests conducted by the feds).  In-cabin comforts were plentiful and comfortable.  Front footwell lighting and LED reading lights added a touch of refined coziness.

Volkswagen calls this SportWagen "a wagon for both practicality and performance."  I agree on both counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment