Thursday, October 3, 2019

Chrysler 300 with a Hemi engine: worthy of respect

This review first appeared in the September 2019 edition of the Northern & Central California Cruisin’ News published out of Folsom, California – mg

Sacramento, California Sometimes, I feel bad for the Chrysler 300.

I've always liked the big sedan with the monster-size grille.  It has been through various changes, but I ended up liking the different looks no matter what.

I sort of regard the Chrysler 300 as the old-school household car, the one that lugged the family and half their belongings on summer vacation trips covering many miles.

Alas, today, the big sedan seems to get little respect.  The Dodge Charger steals the headlines.  The two-door Challenger grabs yet more attention away from the 300.  Do an online search of local lots, and you know what Chrysler vehicle appears most often?  It's the 2019 Chrysler Pacifica minivan.

And yes, the American-made sedan seems to be on the endangered species list as we roll into the 21st century in earnest.

Despite all this, I jumped at a chance to get behind the wheel of a 2019 Chrysler 300 S ... with a 363-horsepower 5.7-liter Hemi V-8 engine.

Now, we're talkin'.

The Hemi emits a fine, satisfying roar when asked, and power is dished up in heart-pumping chunks. It's a thrill to be pressed into the driver's seat as the Hemi works up its considerable presence.
This is old-school sedan horsepower, and yeah, I miss it a lot.

I should note that the tester looked fine riding on 20-inch wheels, and the nicely equipped interior was spacious and comfortable.

The back seats were not a squeeze for even hefty adults, and the trunk swallowed up armloads of cargo.

My ride was priced well under $50,000, a notable plus in an era of big vehicles priced in the $45,000 to $80,000 range.

This latest version of Chrysler's history-drenched sedan is equipped with state-of-the-art safety and technology features, and my only gripe with the vehicle was some sway I felt when I dove into corners at high speed.

Is there still a place for a big American sedan in the driveways of the U.S. citizenry?  I certainly think so. The Chrysler 300 offers customer-pleasing comforts and big-shouldered roominess the way it always has.
 
And with a Hemi under the hood, well, that's a bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment