Thursday, June 25, 2020

A favorite sedan sees advances in quality, price

Mark Glover’s AutoGlo car reviews also can be seen in the Northern & Central California Cruisin’ News magazine published monthly out of Folsom, California.

Sacramento, California -- Shortly after George H.W. Bush took the oath of office as the 41st president of the United States in January 1989, Toyota commenced mass production of a new flagship luxury sedan called the Lexus LS 400.

The starting price was -- I kid you not -- a mere $36,000.

From the first time I drove it, I liked the car.  In fact, I routinely told friends and family that, even if I had all the money in the world, I would be completely satisfied with having the LS as the family car.  It had everything I would want in a top-tier sedan -- luxury, strong performance, pleasant amenities.

Over the years, I continued to like the LS, even as its engine and price grew at a rapid rate.  Fast forward to 2020 and my recent week in the current-generation LS 500 sedan. Much has happened to the car.

Visually, the LS 500 is not that far removed from its origins.  It's elegantly sculpted, with an aggressive front end and world-class fit and finish.

Moving on, things have changed a lot.  The engine is a rip-roaring 3.5-liter, twin-turbo V-6 with 416 horsepower.  It does more than perform.  It excels.  Power flows in a silky smooth stream, and you can find yourself touching 80 miles per hour with your right foot only halfway to the floor.

This is a rush.  And thoroughly enjoyable.

My rush was matched by the electric jolt I felt when I saw the bottom line on the tester's sticker -- a wallet-crushing $108,490.  That would have bought a few Game Boy consoles back in 1989.

To be fair, the base price on the tester was $75,450.  It was obscenely dressed up with optional extras, including an Executive Package priced at a whopping $17,100.  The package included specially stitched leather surfaces, four-zone climate control, power front seat buckles, power rear window sunshades and a 28-way power driver's seat with multi-function massage.

The vehicle was equipped with seemingly every luxury/convenience/safety device available to the auto industry.  Over-the-top perks included a 23-speaker Mark Levinson audio system, an adaptive variable air suspension system, a 10-speed automatic transmission and a heated steering wheel of premium wood and leather.

It's pretty much a rolling Four Seasons hotel.  I felt like I was being spoiled to death just driving it around the block. I didn't want to give it up. Yes, I admit that it's easy to fall in love with this LS.

But the price of love has gone up plenty over the past 30 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment