Thursday, November 26, 2020

Trailhawk SUV makes off-road travel a happy option

 Mark Glover’s AutoGlo car reviews also can be seen in the Northern & Central California Cruisin’ News magazine published monthly out of Folsom, California.

Sacramento, California -- Most sport-utility vehicles are marketed these days with emphasis on their ability to do urban and rural chores on the paved road surfaces.

Not so with the recently tested 2020 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite 4X4.  It's an in-your-face off-roader.

And a capable one to boot.

The tester, which looked splendid in "Velvet Red Pearl-Coat" paint, was geared to the unpaved experience, taking in everything from ride height to interior/exterior features.

The list of shout outs to the off-road enthusiast was lengthy on my ride.  A short list included Jeep Active Drive, a Selec-Terrain system, Jeep Active Drive Lock, Hill-Descent Control and an off-road suspension.

Those were just the standard features.  The Trailhawk Elite Package of options included heated front seats, a windshield wiper de-icer and a special tow package.  Throw in a full sunroof with power in the front and fixed in the rear, and you're ready to venture into the wilderness.

OK, I confess that my off-road adventure in the tested Trailhawk was a modest gravel-and-dirt trail that did not take me far from the interstate.  Naturally, I envisioned myself driving on the wildest path to be found in the backcountry of Alaska.  The Trailhawk performed well in reality and in my dreams.

Back on the paved roads, I was impressed with the performance of the turbo-4 engine, which is rated at a max 270 horsepower.  I found it pleasingly robust, and I enjoyed the bass exhaust note that made its way into the cabin when I nailed the accelerator.

Interior comfort was fine -- for driver and volunteer passengers -- although some of my volunteer riders were hoping for more cargo space in the back.

Fuel mileage was only fair at 20 miles per gallon in the city and 26 mpg on the highway.

Auto-reviewing colleagues generally agree with me that the Cherokee Trailhawk is a stout and enjoyable off-road warrior, but they tended to like the offerings of other automakers for everyday use.

I disagree.

I could easily envision the Cherokee Trailhawk as a daily driver, commuter and urban jungle multitasker.

Can I see it as the possession of a suburban or urban dweller who toils during the week and looks forward to those weekend jaunts to wooded campsites or snowy mountain cabins? Absolutely.

Please note that the price on the tester -- which had numerous options -- was a fairly hefty $45,425.  But if you passions are split between the work-a-day world and road trips into the natural world, it's a fair price to pay.

No comments:

Post a Comment