Thursday, February 25, 2021

Award-winning Telluride is worthy of all that praise

 Mark Glover’s AutoGlo car reviews also can be seen in the Northern & Central California Cruisin’ News magazine published monthly out of Folsom, California.

Sacramento, California -- Sometimes, when I review a newly introduced motor vehicle that goes on to win high acclaim, I ask myself: "Did I miss something the first time around?"

And so it was with the Kia Telluride, which I first tested as it was on its run to be Motor Trend magazine's SUV of the Year for 2020.  Sure, I liked it, but was I getting the whole picture?

Consequently, I was happy to have another go with the recently tested 2021 Kia Telluride SX V6 AWD sport-ute.  A car-reviewing colleague of mine suggested that I more closely examine the SUV's charms while it was sitting still, and keep the driving characteristics on the back burner.

It was good advice.

In a world of look-alike SUVs, the Telluride stands out as a stylish winner. A large, elegantly sculpted -- yet not over-the-top -- grille gives the Telluride an impressive front-on look.  And unlike other SUVs that seem squat and pressed in profile, the three-row midsize sport-ute actually has a pleasant stretched-out sedan stance.

My ride had an eye-catching color scheme of "Everlasting Silver" exterior paint, set off nicely with a black interior.

As for fit and finish, we're talking head of the class. I was looking for the most minor flaws and came away with nothing on that front.

Inside, the cabin is comfortable and spacious, with generous riding room for a crowd. A healthy helping of comfort/convenience controls are within easy reach and easy to master quickly.

It's not considered a luxury SUV, but I'd rate this midsize model within a baby step of that segment with standard features that include tri-zone climate control, a wireless phone charger, a rear sunroof, a surround-view monitor and a Harman Kardon surround-sound audio system.

Even with a $795 towing package and a $2,300 "Prestige Package of extras (with head-up display, Nappa Leather seat trim and heated/ventilated second-row seats), the bottom line on the tester came to a reasonable $48,720.

Safety features were excellent, capped off by a max five-star federal government overall rating in crash tests.  Fuel mileage on the tester was fair at 19 miles per gallon in the city and 24 mpg on the highway.

On the fly, the Telluride was just as a I remembered it -- smooth, quiet, comfortable and agile.  It's an excellent freeway cruiser, and colleagues who have taken it on more-challenging off-road adventures than I dared swear by its off-pavement excellence.

The 3.8-liter V-6 rated at 291-horsepower handles most conditions easily, although I found myself pressing the accelerator hard on steep uphill grades.

So, after a second test run, is this Telluride worthy of all the high praise it's getting?  Absolutely.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment