Thursday, January 6, 2022

This Mustang is a horse of a different color

This review first appeared in the November 2021 edition of the Cruisin' News published out of Folsom, California – mg 

Sacramento, California ­ The Ford Mustang reimagined as a compact crossover sport-utility vehicle.  And an all-electric one at that.

"Blasphemy!," cry those who worship the label identified with the iconic sports coupe for more than 50 years. Frankly, many think that I should be among them, having learned to drive on a 1965 Mustang all those years ago ... and having driven almost every version of the Mustang since then.

But hold your horses.

We live in changing times, and the 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD delivered to my driveway deserved its day in court.

After a week of testing, here's my verdict: It's a remarkable vehicle.  Amazing, I say.

For starters, it's the smoothest-driving electric vehicle I've ever handled -- by far.  My tester didn't accelerate as much as glide up the road, smooth as butter.  Like riding on a cloud.  Combined with the silence of the electric powertrain, it's a memorable experience.

The powertrain on the tester -- which included an extended-range battery -- delivered the equivalent of 346 horsepower.  That translated to robust performance both off the line and when Mustang was moving along.  Did this level of performance feel good, even without an accompanying roar from under the hood and from the exhaust pipes?  Yes, it felt wonderful.

With the extended-range battery, the all-wheel drive tester could go an estimated 270 miles on a full charge.  I did not test that to the limit, but given the performance of the vehicle, I had no reason to doubt it.  As is my habit with all EVs I test, my eyes stayed glued to the mileage-remaining number, but I was completely at ease otherwise.

For the record, the fuel mileage equivalent is 90 miles per gallon in combined city-highway driveway.

Beyond performance, the spacious SUV interior will be a welcome perk for Ford fans who love the Mustang but also want utility and cargo-carrying options.  Interior seating space promoted comfort.

My tester was loaded with state-of-the-art safety, comfort and convenience features.  Standard fare included rain-sensing wipers, a wireless charging pad and eye-pleasing ambient lighting.

I would have preferred a floor shifter to the rotary gear shift dial, but you can't have everything.

Let me tell you: It looks good.  There's enough Mustang DNA in the body to tell you what it is at first glance ... if you didn't immediately get a clue with the galloping horse logos front and rear.  A rear spoiler added to the sporty look.

My ride drew as much attention as any test vehicle I've driven of late.  Passing motorists would back up and ask, "Wow, is that really a Mustang?"

Yes, it is.  And my tester could be had for the fairly hefty sticker price of $56,200.

Kudos to Ford for transforming a venerable model into a modern transporter with style, sporty looks and soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment