Thursday, February 10, 2022

G70 packs a punch, and might be sedan of your dreams

This review first appeared in the December 2021 edition of the Cruisin' News published out of Folsom, California – mg 

Sacramento, California ­ I'm routinely asked: What is your favorite motor vehicle? And that's impossible to answer.

But I'm also asked what car I'd recommend to a buyer who wants, say, everything possible from that old chestnut: the sedan.

Years ago, I might have answered with the Lexus LS, a full-size beauty with power and luxury.  It's still a great car, but the price now hovers in the $100,000 ballpark.

So, I've downsized of late and lean toward the Genesis G70 compact sedan.  A recent week in the 2022 Genesis G70 RWD 3.3T Sport Prestige only strengthened my feelings.

Mine was a super-loaded version, and yet the bottom line read a comparatively modest $51,945.  For this car, that's a steal.

Keep in mind that the G70 was Motor Trend magazine's Car of the Year in 2019.  For 2022, it's better than that ride.

A restyling ushers the G70 into the automaker's "Athletic Elegance" design segment.  And it's an accurate label.  Quad lamps on the front end are LED-laden and symbolize the wings on the Genesis emblem.

The headlights are set on either side of a stylish grille that resembles a graceful bird in flight.  More front-end sculpting is found below those eye-catching features.  Quad lamps can be found on the back end as well, resting over elliptical dual exhausts.

The overall look is elegant.  Ditto the interior feel.

Performance is decidedly sporty.  Power on the tester was provided by a finely tuned, turbocharged, 3.3-liter V-6 rated at 370 horsepower.

Lots of cars have more than 350 horses, but the tuning on this engine is so exquisite that it performs at a level far higher than the advertised number.

Case in point: I'm on a steep downhill portion of Interstate 80 in the Sierra Nevada, with an 18-wheeler poking in front of me and traffic closing fast in my rearview mirror.  In most cars, I wouldn't try to shoot the gap. In most cars, the acceleration would be comparatively slow.

Not so the G70. Hitting the gas produces what I call "physics-defying straight-line speed."  In simple terms, the G70 instantly digs in and blasts the car in a straight burst, even as I'm barely turning the steering wheel for easy control.  The whole thing takes two seconds. Fun? You bet.  And not even dangerous as I cleared all surrounding vehicles by multiple vehicle lengths.

Interior comfort in the G70 is accentuated by a smooth, quiet ride.  Don't let the compact designation fool you.  Five folks can travel in comfort.

And believe me when I tell you that seemingly every form of safety, comfort and convenience technology can be had in this vehicle.  But again, for nearly half the price of what you might pay in other models.

Sound like the sedan of your dreams?  Yeah, I know.  And you're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment