Thursday, January 19, 2023

Toyota 4Runner has its place in a world of EVs, hybrids

Mark Glover’s AutoGlo car reviews can be seen here and in the Cruisin’ News, "Oregon, Nevada and California's classic auto news & marketplace."

Sacramento, California -- As we rush toward an electrified future, is there room for a Toyota 4Runner rated at 16 miles per gallon in the city and 19 mpg on the highway?

At this point in time, the answer is YES.

A recent week in a 2023 Toyota 4Runner 4X4 TRD Pro V6 made the point.  For starters, there's a lot for the dedicated off-roader to like.

My tester included standard Multi-Terrain Select & Crawl Control, next-level shocks/springs, an aluminum front skid plate, and Hill-Start Assist Control.

Being an off-road wimp, I did not test these features to the max.  But off-road warriors I talked with were absolutely salivating at the package on the tester's sticker.

For me, the civilized charms in addition to the rock-roaming features were eye-catching.  I did not expect to see a panoramic view monitor, a power sliding rear window, high-performance LED fog lights and a sliding rear cargo deck on this ride, but there they were.

Rugged and well-equipped.  What's not to like?

And I must talk about the exterior color: Solar Octane.

Some describe it as bright, vivid orange, but that doesn't really cover the bases.  Think Competition Orange with explosive Day-Glo accents ... under a blazing desert sun.  Yes, I think that adequately says it.

Neighbors and strangers trotted up to me with questions about the color, seemingly oblivious to what was under the skin of this 4Runner.

Too bad ... because what lies beneath is pretty nice -- bolstered by Toyota's typically excellent engineering.

The 4Runner is powered by a 4-liter V-6 engine rated at 270 horsepower.  It's a peppy, responsive power plant, but not a noisy one.  At freeway speed, the tester was silky smooth, and I found myself creeping above 70 miles per hour with very little effort from my right foot.

The tester was a strong hill climber, and it was pleasingly agile when I did some dodging on tight urban streets.

All in all, an impressive package and priced at a hefty $55,380.

As it enters its 40th year of existence, the 4Runner still has a place on our roads ... and in the hearts of Toyota devotees.

No comments:

Post a Comment