Thursday, April 18, 2024

Amid crowded small SUV field Tucson deserves a look

Mark Glover’s AutoGlo car reviews can be seen here and in the Cruisin’ News, "Oregon, Nevada and California's classic auto news & marketplace."

Sacramento, California -- I've heard it all before from family, friends and even total strangers: "Hi, I'm looking for a practical-size sport-utility vehicle that gets good gas mileage, is loaded with standard features and won't cost me a fortune."

To which I've typically replied: "Have you looked at the Hyundai Tucson?"

Over the years, several folks have turned my suggestion into a purchase (No thanks necessary, Hyundai. I'm good). And have been very happy with said purchase.

After a recent week in the 2024 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid N Line AWD, I found no reason to change my reasoning.  In fact, the current Tucson is better than ever.

Yes, it's just right in the size department, especially for those of you who aren't inclined to load a double-wide refrigerator into the back of their vehicle.  Compact, yet roomy enough for back-seat comfort.

Good gas mileage?  Well, this being a hybrid package, the tester came in at a healthy 37 miles per gallon in the city and 36 mpg on the highway.  Most folks I know would jump at that.

As for standard features, my ride had an exceptionally long list, including items you don't normally expect to see on a compact sport-ute.  Those included alloy sport pedals, smart cruise control and a Bose premium audio system.

So, we're probably looking at 50-grand for this ride, right?  Try an entirely reasonable $37,950 on the sticker's bottom line ... a virtual steal in today's crossover SUV market.

And there's more, most notably a 1.6-liter turbo-4 engine that anchors a hybrid system and rated at 180 horsepower.  I found the tester to be a muscular off the line, and at no time did I feel that I was driving a too-small vehicle in California's always-dicey freeway traffic.

The N Line designation means you get styling and performance upgrades giving you even more behind-the-wheel confidence.

Overall, it's a small SUV with a lot going for it.  And priced just right.

No comments:

Post a Comment