Thursday, September 24, 2026

Three for the road: SUVs loaded with quality, perks

Mark Glover’s AutoGlo car reviews can be seen here and in the Cruisin’ News, "Oregon, Nevada and California's classic auto news & marketplace."

Sacramento, California -- I experienced some sport-utility vehicle overload as the summer wound down.

But in the interest of letting you know about three good ones -- as opposed to parking them for late autumn -- here's the scoop:

2026 Subaru Outback Wilderness (pictured) -- It has been around for a long time, winning hearts and minds ... especially among outdoor enthusiasts.

Think of the tested Wilderness as the ultimate outdoor vehicle for a new generation of Outbacks. Subaru's website shows it sloshing through mud and climbing over rocks, and given what I experienced, I can tell you that this SUV will win those battles every time.

My ride was priced just a touch beyond $50,000, and it was equipped with a long list of features to conquer the wild lands. Even the roof rails are raised and reinforced.

Fuel mileage is pretty fair at 21 miles per gallon in the city and 27 mpg on the highway.

I know I've recommended various sport-utes for off-roading purposes, but if this Wilderness is not at the top of your test-drive list for off-pavement excursions, it should be.

2026 Subaru Uncharted GT -- Another Subaru, but a completely different vibe.  For starters, it's an electric vehicle.  And I should add: it moves with muscular authority from a standing start, courtesy of an electric power train rated at 338 horsepower.

The sporty performance is matched with a sleek, aerodynamic profile.  Absolutely an eye-catcher.

Some electrics have found me staring at the battery charge percentage and worrying away the day.  Not so in this five-passenger Uncharted.  Pure driving pleasure, with excellent road manners.

Oh yes, you can take this EV off-road.  And you will be worry-free with 8.2 inches of ground clearance.

My ride was priced at $46,215 and loaded with standard features.  Had I been forced to guess the price before reading the sticker, I would have estimated a bottom line of $55,000 to $60,000, so yes, a bargain to be had here.

2026 Mazda CX-5 2.5 S Premium Plus -- Mazda just keep churning out these quality sport-utes, and this compact crossover SUV is worth a look.

The starting price is a most reasonable $38,990, and even my loaded version was an easy-on-the-eyes $41,080.

For that you get a peppy 187 horsepower engine, leather trimmed seats, a marvelous 15.6-inch color center display and heated seats throughout ... and a full suite of driving-enhancement/safety features.

Fuel mileage is good at 24 miles per gallon in the city and 30 mpg on the open road.

I know for a fact that some buyers are paying much more to obtain lesser vehicles in this segment ... when they should have made the Mazda lot their first stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment