Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Where have I been? Taking a decidedly lengthy detour

Mark Glover’s AutoGlo car reviews can be seen here and in the Cruisin’ News, "Oregon, Nevada and California's classic auto news & marketplace."

Sacramento, California -- Those who follow me closely know that I have been out of the lineup for the past couple of weeks or so.

There's a reason for that.  Here it is:

On Dec. 22, I came home from a 3.5-mile jog and was feeling fine as I changed out of my sweats in my garage.  Suddenly, I experienced an overwhelming wave of vertigo ... something that has occasionally happened to me over more than 20 years.

Only this time, I woke up on the concrete floor of my garage with a golf ball-size knot on the left side of my forehead.  My son, Charles, transported me to the emergency room at nearby Mercy San Juan Medical Center in Carmichael.  Tests followed.  Conclusion: Nasty fall, probable concussion but, otherwise, no lasting damage. I went home that night.

On Jan. 7, I was overcome with intense pain and pressure in my head and was again rushed to the hospital.  Conclusion this time around: a brain bleed.  In technical terms, a stroke.  What followed was two weeks in the hospital, with more than half that time in intensive care.

After countless tests, readings and meds, I was finally cleared to go home on Monday, Jan. 22. The primary concern has been stabilizing my blood pressure, although the long-standing causes of my medical situation are likely more complex than just that.  Happily, I have no physical or mental handicaps as a result of all this.  For this, I'm most grateful.  And needless to say, the healing powers of being home have already made a difference as I baby step my way back to something like normal.

Some of you sent messages of encouragement my way during this ordeal.  For those, THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart.  Just knowing that people care is a big deal.

And so, the immediate plan is to rebuild my strength -- I lost 20 pounds between Jan. 7 and Jan. 23 -- and get back out on the road again, although my initial car testing likely will be closer to home in the first quarter of the year.

Otherwise, thanks to all who read my words.  It's good to be on the comeback trail....MHG

4 comments:

  1. Hey, sorry to hear about your scary healath issues, but very much hearrtened to learn you are back in the driver's seat. Good luck with that and keep on motorin'. -- Mike Mattis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike. Feeling stronger every day. Great to hear from you.

      Delete
  2. Hi Mark. I heard about your post from BG friends in Ohio. I am happy to hear you are doing better. Sending warm thoughts and good wishes! ---Jim Wasserman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jim....Being home has been wonderful. Stronger by the minute. Thanks for checking in on me. Great to see a familiar name from days past.

    ReplyDelete