Thursday, February 1, 2024

Land Rover's Defender is a royal ride fit for a king

Mark Glover’s AutoGlo car reviews can be seen here and in the Cruisin’ News, "Oregon, Nevada and California's classic auto news & marketplace."

Sacramento, California -- It had been some time since I felt like royalty.  And I certainly did feel that way after a week in the 2023 Land Rover Defender 110 SE sport-utility vehicle.

Sure, Land Rover is the choice of the British royals, and the Defender lineage dates back to the early days of Queen Elizabeth II.  History aside, I appreciated the small touches that make up the Defender.

There are the convenient slots and storage areas built into the back gate.  And yes, the thing feels like an armored tank on the move.  Yet there is little obnoxious noise that reaches the interior cabin. The 10.1-inch infotainment screen is easily mastered. There's three-zone climate control, of course.

Power comes from a 3-liter, six-cylinder engine rated at 395 horsepower and 406 foot-pounds of torque.

I don't remember past Land Rovers exhibiting that much muscle, but my ride was decidedly enthusiastic off the line and in freeway traffic.  For all of its big-shouldered bulk, the Defender at speed actually felt nimble and quick.  At no time did I feel like I was extending the vehicle's capabilities. In fact, if anything, I never let her loose at full song.

Simply put, this is a rugged sport-ute that you can muscle through busy freeway traffic and dicey downtown streets with full confidence.  Solid, strong.  Feels substantial but drives light.

Fuel mileage is so-so at 18 miles per gallon in the city and 23 mpg on the highway.

One other thing about this Defender.  It apparently came off as unique to fellow motorists.  With virtually every stop I made, an individual or crowd gathered to ask questions about the vehicle.

I was only too glad to talk up its charms.  To boil it down, it's fit for a king.

No comments:

Post a Comment