Thursday, May 31, 2018

This Ford Fusion is the best of the breed

A menu of Mark Glover’s AutoGlo car reviews can be seen on the Business page of The Sacramento Bee’s website  www.sacbee.com/news/business/article4005306.html

Sacramento, California -- I was maybe two hours into my week with the tested 2018 Ford Fusion Platinum Hybrid sedan when I said out loud: "I think this is the best Fusion I've ever driven."

And that's saying something, because I've driven every version of the Fusion ever produced.

So sure, it looked great in gleaming "Burgundy Velvet" exterior paint and sweetly sculpted 18-inch wheels.  Smooth lines and an aggressive, but not over-the-top front end added to the visual appeal.

The 2-liter, four-cylinder power plant matched with an electric motor provided peppy accelerations and more than adequate power in all situations.  The tested Fusion blew past freeway stragglers with ease and was a quick-cutting player on the busy downtown streets of Sacramento.

Comfort and quiet greeted me in the cockpit, and despite my best efforts, very little noise made its way inside the cabin.  My ride was nicely equipped with only the barest of extras, which translated to $38,770 on the sticker's bottom line.

That seems like a lot, you say?  Well, perhaps, but in my view, this ride felt like a mid-range Lexus or a heavily equipped Toyota Avalon.  And if you do that math, the $38,770 number comes off as a relative bargain, especially considering that this is a hybrid package.

And with that hybrid package comes a bonus: fuel mileage ratings of 43 miles per gallon in the city and 41 mpg on the highway.

Top it off with a max five-star federal government overall safety rating, and you're talking about a sedan that nicely covers all the bases.

Pretty nice package, I'd say.  And no doubt in my mind: best Fusion I've ever laid my hands on.

No comments:

Post a Comment