Thursday, October 4, 2018

Luxurious Lexus sedan raises the horsepower count

A menu of Mark Glover’s AutoGlo reviews of the latest motor vehicle models also can be seen on The Sacramento Bee’s website at www.sacbee.com/news/business/article4005306.html

This review first appeared in the September 2018 edition of the Northern & Central California Cruisin’ News published out of Folsom, California – mg

Sacramento, California Back in the day, I remember thinking that the Lexus LS was all you needed in a daily driver sedan, no matter how much money you had.

It was luxurious, attractive and peppy.  The asking price was not too bad either, given the luxo segment it occupied.


Over the years, the regal-looking LS has evolved into something else, something else you might expect from, say, a Mercedes-Benz with AMG tuning.  My recent week in the 2018 Lexus LS 500 F-Sport AWD sedan hammered home this point with authority.

Lexus restyled its signature, top-line sedan for the 2018 model year.  With its wide stance and refined cuts and angles in the chassis, it all but shouts the news that it's a high-performance machine.

The look is backed up with a 3.5-liter, twin-turbo V-6 putting out 416 horsepower and 442 foot-pounds of torque.  Lexus touts the "Formula One technology" within the power plant.  I believe it.
Mashing the gas dishes up serious, press-me-to-the-seat power, yet it is a smooth and comparatively quiet run up to green-flag speed.

The tester's exquisitely engineered suspension was rock-steady even as I was laying on hard acceleration in sharp turns and up steel hills. Very impressive.

Gone are the days when fellow motorists might glance at the LS and think, "Lucky stiff, must be nice to be making that kind of money."  Now, the thinking is probably more along the lines of, "I can't believe that Lexus LS just blew past me like I was glued to the road."

Yes, evolution has its joys.

Inside, the Lexus LS 500 is packed with top-notch luxury features and state-of-the-art technology that you fully expect in this long-running model. My ride included beyond-the-norm goodies such as intuitive park assist and auto door closer.  There's a power rear sunshade as well, a feature that passengers love when you suddenly trigger it from the cockpit.

Lexus contends that the LS sedan embodies the marque's history and image more than any model it makes, and I completely agree with that.  The flagship has evolved remarkably over a generation, and for my money, it has gotten better with each reworking.  I'll admit that I tend to favor periodic increases in horsepower, so shoot me.

I remember when the LS could be had for a payout in the 50K range.  My, how times have changed.
The bottom line on my tester was just a few bucks short of $83,000.  In this segment, given the assortment of competitors priced in the six-figure ballpark, that's still not too bad ... relatively speaking.

In the end, my week in the LS reaffirmed one of the positives of automotive life: The Lexus flagship sedan just keeps getting better with age.

No comments:

Post a Comment