Thursday, January 17, 2019

King Ranch a special treat in pickup segment

A menu of Mark Glover’s AutoGlo car reviews can be seen on the Business page of The Sacramento Bee’s website  www.sacbee.com/news/business/article4005306.html

Sacramento, California -- I recently reviewed a Ford F-150 SuperCrew, and it had the usual, over-the-top perks found in the modern-era pickup truck.

But the 2018 Ford F-150 4X4 SuperCrew King Ranch pickup subsequently delivered to my driveway was really a step beyond its cousin.  Way beyond, in my view.

The King Ranch version is so exquisitely customized that you feel like Ford built the truck just for you ... a one and only.

Let me explain.

The pickup is named for the famous and massive King Ranch in South Texas.  Having driven on the grounds of the ranch years ago, I can tell you that it's not so much a ranch as a state within an enormous state.  You can drive for miles and miles and never leave the sprawling property.

Naturally, a big Ford F-150 pickup stacks up as the perfect vehicle for getting around such a place, and for hauling the tons of equipment and tools that make a big ranch run.  Ford marketed the truck as something special for the discriminating pickup purchaser.  With Texas home to more pickup trucks than any other state -- yes, even more than California -- it made perfect sense.

But trust me when I say that the special feeling of a custom-made pickup has evolved into something far above what it was years ago.

My tester was a stunning "Ruby Red" on the exterior, set off with an opulent leather interior.  The well-known King Ranch logo is stitched here and there inside, and I can tell you that my ride had some of the highest quality stitching I have ever seen.

The King Ranch has its own "Chrome Appearance" package as well.  And a twin-panel moonroof.  Chrome exhaust?  Of course.  Ten-way power seats?  Ditto.  And on and on it goes ... not to mention the generous perks built into the standard F-150 pickup package just for walking in the door of a Ford dealership.

By the way, all this does not come cheap.  My tester wore a bottom line of $65,675, and to be brutally honest, that's probably a bargain given all the goodies on this King Ranch special.

A cowboy Cadillac?  A ranch hand's dream ride?  Choose you description, because they all fit.

So if your budget permits, go for it.  But don't go looking for my tester.  I'm sure it was built just for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment