Friday, April 12, 2019

Ford Edge ST has driver-pleasing performance

This review first appeared in the March 2019 edition of the Northern & Central California Cruisin’ News published out of Folsom, California – mg

Sacramento, California Check this out: Turbo V-6.  335 horsepower. Eight-speed gearbox. Performance/vented disc brakes.

Is it an AMG-tuned Mercedes-Benz? Maybe a finely built BMW sports car? Maybe even an entry-level Ferrari?

Nope, it's a Ford Edge sport-utility vehicle.

Ford added the Ford Edge ST to the 2019 Edge lineup as a high-performing step up from the previous Sport model.  My ride featured all-wheel drive and the aforementioned eight-speed transmission.

Far and away, the best part of the ST is the strong performance that you don't expect to get in what looks like a suburban chore-doer. This is fun.

How much fun?  Let me tell you about it.

Several times, I took the Edge ST down a freeway entrance ramp with a sedan or sports car planted right on my bumper. I could tell by the way these folks drove that they were just itching to whip around me once we got to the bottom of the ramp
.
What they got instead was a schooling in the Edge ST's muscle as I planted my right foot to the floor and the Edge just sailed away from them.

The great exhaust note coming from the Edge was a bonus.

Likewise, I blazed into tight spots when freeway motorists assumed that I would put up the surrender flag and let them blow by.  Not a chance.

For my money, this makes the ST the obvious choice over the recently tested 2019 Ford Edge Titanium FWD sport-ute.  Don't get me wrong, the extensively equipped Titanium priced at $44,890 was a sweet ride and would be a great addition to any family's driveway.

But the 2-liter turbo-4 rated at 250 horsepower just doesn't give you the same rush at the ST.  Yes, I'm biased.  I like some sauce in my SUV.

The tested ST was likewise well-equipped, as it should be with a bottom line of $52,225.
Some reviewers have taken Ford to task for too much black plastic built into the interior cabin.  Frankly, this did not bother me in the slightest as the comfort/convenience package was generous, modern and state of the art.  Ditto the safety/security package.

One small gripe: The gearshift on the tester was a rotary dial, which worked just fine.  However, when I'm driving something with performance chops, I prefer to handle the gears with a classic shifter built into the center console.  Just a personal preference.

All in all, kudos to Ford for packing some impressive performance into the Edge daily driver SUV.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment