Thursday, September 5, 2019

Genesis G70 practically perfect in every way

This review first appeared in the August 2019 edition of the Northern & Central California Cruisin’ News published out of Folsom, California – mg

Sacramento, California I'm often asked to name my "favorite" motor vehicle, and of course that's an impossible task.  I have been spoiled getting into so many autos over so many years.

In a nutshell, I guess I want too much out of my "perfect" car.

But the recently tested 2019 Genesis G70 comes as close as anything to being a dream car, in my view.

Why?  Because while other cars have the things I like here and there, the G70 covers all the bases. It pleases on so many levels: beautiful styling, perfect fit and finish, high performance, superb handling, luxurious interior, excellent safety technology, plentiful comfort/convenience features and, yes, affordability.

My ride was the rear-driving, twin-turbo Dynamic Edition, with a 3.3-liter V-6 engine rated 365 horsepower.  That's the same top-end engine you'll find in the wonderfully responsive Kia Stinger.

But that doesn't really tell the tale.  The first time I nailed the accelerator hard in the G70, I was transported from the roadway to the drag strip.

The acceleration was a gut punch, downright shocking to the senses.  Motorists around me reacted the same way.  One second I was there, the next I was long gone.

If it was just that, I'd be impressed.  But the G70 is so much more.

The bottom line on the sticker was $51,245, and frankly, I thought that was a steal, given the package, a package that included top-tier Brembo brakes, surround-view monitor, driver attention warning, LED lights, a sunroof, rain-sensing wipers, a head-up display and much, much more.  A sticker of $65,000 would be more like it, in my opinion.

Does it look good?  It looks fabulous with sporty-elegant panel sculpting and accents on the exterior lights.  Throw in the generous Genesis warranties, and you have the makings of the practically perfect compact luxury sport sedan.

OK, if it was just me saying this, you might have plenty of ammunition to disagree.  But the editors of Motor Trend magazine named the G70 the 2019 Car of the Year, citing many of the same things you're hearing from yours truly.

The Motor Trend testers, who tend to be much harder to impress than I, were blown away by this all-new, South Korean-made sedan that not only challenges the long-standing superiority of the BMW 3 Series in this segment, but does so in a way that heavyweights Toyota, Honda, Nissan and General Motors have not.  Yup, that's high praise.

The only drawback some might find is the fuel mileage, which came in at 18 miles per gallon in the city and 26 mpg on the highway for the tested G70.  But given the power of the 3.3-liter two-turbo V-6, I submit that those numbers are pretty good.

So, everything considered, this G70 makes a strong run at perfection in so many ways.  Needless to say, I enjoyed the ride.


No comments:

Post a Comment