Thursday, February 20, 2020

Here's what six figures will get you in a Lexus

Mark Glover’s AutoGlo car reviews also can be seen in the Northern & Central California Cruisin’ News magazine published monthly out of Folsom, California.

Sacramento, California -- You can become jaded in the car-reviewing game.

Even the most eye-popping high-tech features lose their wow appeal over time.  Sport-utility vehicles show up wearing stickers in the $60,000, $70,000 and $80,000 ballpark, and eventually your eyebrows lose their vertical leaping ability.

But when a 2020 Lexus LX 570 luxury SUV recently showed up in my driveway with a sticker price of $100,540, that got my attention.  ONE-HUNDRED GRAND for an SUV built by a mainstream automaker.

That's more than I paid for my three-bedroom home when I moved to California at the dawn of Ronald Reagan's second term as president.

So, for that price, this Lexus had to have everything, right?  And it did.

The list was endless, filling a "War and Peace"-size owner's manual: special puddle lights displaying the Lexus logo, intuitive parking assist, trailer sway control, power/sliding second-row seats, power third-row seats, lane departure alert, triple-beam LED headlights, panoramic view/multi-terrain monitor, four-zone climate control, crawl control, cool box, heated steering wheel and that's just the short list.

For all I know, the LX 570 could prepare a full English breakfast if all the right buttons were pushed.  Alas, I'll never know for sure because I didn't get to try every on-board perk despite seven full days with the vehicle.

On the outside, my "Atomic Silver"-painted luxury liner resembled a stylized tank, with a massive grille that seemed to reach right under my chin when I stood in front of the vehicle.  It just radiated "get-outta-my-way" attitude,  not necessarily a bad thing when trying to negotiate California's roadways.

Despite the vehicle's heft, the 5.7-liter V-8 engine with 383 horsepower and 403 foot-pounds of torque had no trouble moving the LX 570 around in impressive fashion.  I was able to accelerate out of harm's way on the freeway, and the SUV was surprisingly responsive and agile in tight urban settings.

The cockpit remained quiet even when the LX 570 power plant was laboring at full song, and there was only the slightest touch of body sway during aggressive slalom maneuvers.

Not surprisingly, fuel mileage is wallet-challenging at just 12 miles per gallon in the city and 16 mpg on the highway.

To be sure, this is a daily driver/chore doer for those with enviable incomes. Would I buy it if I had all the money in the world to spend?

Well, it would certainly be on my short list of test drives.

No comments:

Post a Comment