Thursday, December 3, 2020

Ten-hut! 4Runner 'battle wagon' commands attention

 This review first appeared in the November 2020 edition of the Northern & Central California Cruisin’ News published out of Folsom, California – mg

Sacramento, California – I've tested a bunch of crossover sport-utility vehicles this year ... many of them relatively small transporters that are sort of like small sedans pregnant with child.

The recently tested 2020 Toyota 4Runner 4X4 TRD Pro V6 is a midsize SUV, but it's no dainty flower.  It was more like a broad-shouldered battle wagon.

My tester looked particularly battlefield-ready dressed in "Army Green" paint, and riding on take-no-prisoners Nitto Terra Grappler Tires.

In fact, friends and neighbors were convinced that my ride was a U.S. Army-issued vehicle of some type.  I'll confess that I egged them on to some degree before coming clean.

And yet, the 4Runner was surprisingly civilized on the move.  The macho tires did not vibrate the vehicle, and it cruised along the interstates in a relatively smooth manner.  I never felt that the vehicle was lumbering out of my control ... not even a little bit.

Yes, the 4-liter V-6 rated at 270 horsepower did make a fair amount of noise during hill climbs, but it dug in and did the job without my right foot nailing the accelerator to the floor.

The 4Runner's interior was fairly basic and old-school, but more surprising sophistication could be found in the 15-speaker JBL audio system.  Multimedia features were numerous as well.

Among the extras on my ride, I particularly liked the sliding rear cargo deck and the under-floor storage compartment.  These little touches tend to make cargo transporting a less-challenging chore.

Alas, fuel mileage is dismal at 16 miles per gallon in the city and 19 mpg on the highway.

The sticker price on the tested 4Runner was a hefty $52,147.

Toyota frankly admits that this 4Runner is no shrinking violet, and it's really not made for tight downtown spaces.  The automaker's website says up front: "The Toyota 4Runner is the family-hauling, boat-towing, hill-climbing SUV that’s been getting it done for five model generations since 1984."

No argument from me.  But I will say this: I thoroughly enjoyed my week in the big brute.

No comments:

Post a Comment