Thursday, March 18, 2021

Genesis G80 midsize sedan features luxury for less

 Mark Glover’s AutoGlo car reviews also can be seen in the Northern & Central California Cruisin’ News magazine published monthly out of Folsom, California.

Sacramento, California -- In just six years, the Genesis nameplate has rung up major awards and extensive kudos in the automotive world.  It has been quite a run since Genesis was positioned under Hyundai as a stand-alone brand.

So when Genesis introduced its new-for-2021 G80 midsize luxury sedan, I expected the usual round of rave reviews.

That has not been the case.  Reviews of the G80 have been wildly varying.  In fact, I'm not sure I can recall the last time a specific model drew such polarizing evaluations.

You name it, I've seen it: it's nice inside, the exterior is a dud, the engines are strong, the engines are not as strong as those in competitor vehicles, it should be better than (I don't know; insert the name of a car you like here).

I don't get it.  The only guess I have is that any model that has the "luxury" label is held to a different standard.

Sure, why not?  My take is that this ride -- mine was the 2021 Hyundai G80 2.5T RWD -- is easily an 8 out of 10 ... maybe 8.5 out of 10.

While there's lot to like, here's the one thing that stood out the most: a sticker of $49,125 on the tester.  That included the $1,025 destination charge.

You're stealing the vehicle at that price.  There's no debate on this point. Look up the competition and compare.

So, what do you get?  Let's start with an elegant, sleek exterior with just the right touch of body sculpting and an eye-catching mesh grille that's not over-the-top ridiculous.  The tested G80 wore "Porto Red Paint."  Think of a glass of fine red wine on a window sill.

Several passersby commented on the attractiveness of my test vehicle; that's not necessarily a common occurrence.

Inside the G80, five adults can find comfort on leatherette seating surfaces, with plenty of space for elbows and knees.

The 2.5-liter turbo-4 engine with 300 horsepower -- the engine that some fellow reviewers have found wanting -- was sufficiently powerful and responsive under my command.  The tester actually seemed reluctant to poke along on surface streets, dishing up much more enthusiasm on brisk freeway runs and uphill dashes in the Sierra Nevada.

As one would expect from a luxury brand, interior perks are plentiful.  Particularly pleasing was the 14.5-inch HD screen mounted above the center dash.  Its crystal-clear image was easy to see; its exceptional width took me back to the CinemaScope days of movies.

Gripes?  Yes, I have a few.

Selfishly, I prefer a center console-placed, T-shaped shifter as opposed to the robotic rotary knob gear shifter.

The rotary controller for infotainment navigation was touchy and hard to master, and I was challenged by the button/controller sequence to lock in my radio station choices.  I'm sure my advanced age and latter-day high-tech experience played a role, but there you have it.

So, is 8.5 out of 10 enough to prompt you to reach for your checkbook?  I'm guessing for most folks, that's sufficient.

But given the varying opinions on this G80, I recommend extensive homework and a thoughtful test drive.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment