Thursday, September 2, 2021

Kia Niro EV provides lessons in electric motoring

Mark Glover’s AutoGlo car reviews also can be seen in Cruisin’ News magazine published monthly out of Folsom, California.

Sacramento, California -- I've driven numerous electric vehicles in and around my Sacramento-area home base over the years, but taking one on the road far from familiar chargers and streets was a new experience.

Right away, I was nervous as I stared at the Kia Niro EV EX Premium subcompact crossover SUV in my driveway.

I imagine similar feelings will be felt by many Californians in the near future as we make the transition to more electrics on our roadways.

So, the facts of my trip were set in stone: The distance from my home to Windsor in the California Wine Country is about 120 miles ... ideally.  Ideally, because I was leaving on a Sunday, which meant the usual stopped traffic on westbound Interstate 80, stretching all the way to San Francisco.

What if I get stuck in an hours-long gridlock?  What if I have a nervous breakdown watching the Niro's battery range dropping while I'm hopelessly stuck in traffic.  To negate some of this worry, I took a route that avoided a 40-mile portion of I-80 but added about that much mileage to the trip.

The Niro EV advertises a 239-mile range on a full charge.  Just to be sure, I further "trickle charged" it -- that means exactly what it sounds like, a slow-motion charge -- on an external electrical outlet at my home.  Pressing the start button showed me a range of 272 miles. Wow!  That should get me home free, right?

Turns out, that's exactly what it did, even with the vehicle loaded up with three passengers and plentiful luggage.

The Niro performed flawlessly, even enthusiastically with its 150-kilowatt (201 horsepower equivalent) AC synchronous electric motor and 64 kilowatt-hour liquid-cooled lithium ion polymer battery.  The range drain was steady and sure, not a gut-wrenching plunge.

In fact, I started driving in "normal" mode, but quickly switched to "econ."  At first, it took some getting used to, as the regenerative braking action initiated the moment I took my foot off the accelerator.  However, it didn't take long for me to get the rhythm of it, and I found myself buzzing around pokes and zipping through interstate lane changes with ease.

I will say this: My right foot is much lighter on the gas when I'm in an EV.  Fewer hard accelerations, and getting up to freeway speed is a gradual climb.  So, am I a better, more cautious driver with an EV under me?  I would say so, without question.

As for charging, I quickly found multiple charging stations in and around Windsor, including four at the resort where I was staying.  I was frustrated when the charger did not take my ChargePoint card, but a quick toll-free phone call enabled me to put it on my own personal credit card.

Ten hours or charging cost me all of 22 bucks.  Given the price of gasoline right now, I'd say that's a pretty good deal.

My EX Premium version of the Niro EV was lavishly dressed up -- including ventilated front seats, a power sunroof, a wireless phone charger and a Harman Kardon audio system -- for a hefty sticker price of $45,990.

Bottom line: The Niro and the road trip significantly increased my confidence in operating an electric vehicle in the Golden State.  I'm hoping that fellow motorists gain similar confidence, especially as the electric vehicle charging infrastructure grows throughout California.

No comments:

Post a Comment