Thursday, October 7, 2021

Dodge Charger Hellcat is a cut above everything else

This review first appeared in the September 2021 edition of the Cruisin' News published out of Folsom, California – mg

Sacramento, California ­ I was a little upset when the Bay Area test car scheduler called and said he needed to pick up my ride extra early to meet a commitment to another event.

"But we have a substitute for you," he quickly added.

When I dully asked what that might be, he said: A 2021 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat Redeye Widebody sedan (pictured, photo by CHARLES GLOVER).

O-M-G!

This would be something akin to the Holy Grail of test rides -- a bright-red intimidating hunk of American muscle with a 6.2-liter supercharged Hemi V-8 rated at an eye-popping 797-horsepower.

"Uh, yes, that substitute works just fine for me, thank you."

Upon arrival at my driveway, the Charger drew a crowd quicker than a lemonade stand on the floor of Death Valley in July.

Being a longtime NASCAR fan, I can tell you that starting up one of its top-tier Cup cars makes a certain sound -- a rumble that shakes the ground and radiates power into the core of your chest.

The Charger Hellcat Redeye sounds just like that.  And when you start moving, you must have a light touch with your right foot, lest you zip from zero to 60 miles per hour in four seconds flat.

Then you start to notice things ... things that make this Charger unique.

Like the 220 mph speedometer, for example.

Out on the freeway, the tester was a magnet for curious motorists, particularly those driving sports cars.  A Camaro buzzing my rear bumper was particularly annoying, and I was thinking  to myself: "Please, you only have 455 horsepower."

Freeway response was something beyond powerful -- like I was driving a spacecraft -- as the Charger effortlessly bolted away from cars that had been closing in on me at 70 miles per hour just two seconds previously.

The tester held the line on sharp curves -- uphill and downhill -- with monorail firmness.  That Widebody design isn't just for show, after all.

I also found the Charger to be surprisingly light and agile in city traffic, although again, a light touch on the accelerator needs to be applied.  In case you get over-revved, the world-class Brembo brakes will stop the Charger on a dime.

Not just a muscle machine, the tester was loaded with contemporary goodies, which included a 19-speaker Harman Kardon audio system, heated front/back seats, a power sunroof and a full suite of state-of-the-art safety technology.

The cost for all this: a mere $90,060.  If I had the kind of money to drop 100K or so on a car, would this Charger be on my short list?  Absolutely, positively.

And I'd even be happy to pay for the gas to fuel a ride that gets only 12 miles per gallon in the city and 21 mpg on the highway.

Dodge crows that this Charger is "demon possessed."  Can't say that I disagree with that assessment.

No comments:

Post a Comment