Thursday, September 8, 2022

Electric Ford Mustang Mach-E GT is shockingly quick

This review first appeared in the August 2022 edition of the Cruisin' News, "Oregon, Nevada and California's classic auto news & marketplace."

To subscribe to the Cruisin' News, visit www.cruisinnews.com, call (916) 933-0949 or send an email request to subscribe@cruisinnews.com.  Mailed requests for information should be sent to Cruisin' News, P.O. Box G, Virginia City, NV 89440.

Sacramento, California -- Anyone who remains unconvinced about the power an electric vehicle can dish up needs to take a spin in the Ford Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition.

I've driven hundreds upon hundreds of vehicles, but the performance characteristics of this five-passenger sport-utility vehicle absolutely shocked me.  I didn't expect this.  It was like, like ...

You know that scene in the original Star Wars movie (1977) when the Millennium Falcon starship jumps to warp speed for the first time?  And all the stars in the sky turn into streaks of bright white light.

It's like that.

Seriously.  I'm driving along at 55 miles per hour and do one quick hit on the accelerator.  Everything around me (including surrounding cars) seems to freeze, I'm pressed deep into my seat and I look down in what seems like one second later to find that I'm hitting 80 mph.

What a rush!  So much so that I just kept doing it, making sure I had open stretches of road currently not populated by the California Highway Patrol.

Sure, I've driven horsepower-laden cars before, but this Mach-E was just different.  Maybe it's the fact that the blast is not accompanied by the roar of an internal-combustion engine.  It's -- how can I say it? -- a surreal, heart-pumping blast.

So, what are the numbers?

Ford says that Mach-E GT makes the zero-to-60 mph run in 3.5-seconds, courtesy of a max 480 horsepower equivalent and a monstrous 634 foot-pounds of torque.

And the good news is that, with electric power, all this comes guilt-free and without major wallet damage at the local gas pumps.

On top of that, the tested Mach-E GT was loaded with comfort/convenience charms one expects these days.

Worth noting: With a $5,000 GT Performance Edition package, the bottom line on my tester came to 400 bucks short of 70-grand -- a giant leap from the cost of the 1965 Mustang in which I learned to drive all those years ago.

I know that some folks are willing to pay big money for their thrills.  And this Mach-E GT provides those by the truckload.

No comments:

Post a Comment