Thursday, September 29, 2022

This 'Taco' is a likable, trail-worthy pickup truck

Mark Glover’s AutoGlo car reviews can be seen here and in the Cruisin’ News, "Oregon, Nevada and California's classic auto news & marketplace."

Sacramento, California -- I'm not a hardcore pickup truck driver.  People who are hardcore pickup truck drivers know this ... seemingly by just looking at me.

They know I'm not part of the club.

So I really stood out at a recent gathering of pickup pros when I rolled into a parking space with a 2022 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4X4 Double Cab, my test vehicle for the week.

My feet had just touched the ground when one of the group spoke to me: "Nice Taco."

Say what?

"Taco ... Tacoma. You need to get the lingo straight, man," my good-natured acquaintance said with just a touch of irritation.

OK, maybe so.  But I know what I like, and this Tacoma had it.

With a big-shouldered grille and wearing "Lunar Rock" paint, my Tacoma literally gleamed in the evening twilight. Inside, tan stitching on a black background was visually appealing.

My Tacoma had the automaker's Trail Edition treatment, a combination of rugged equipment and visual touches. Trail-worthy to the max.

Yes, it all but begged to be taken off-road.  I barely explored the limits of this off-pavement midsize pickup.

On paved surfaces, the tester performed admirably. Power comes from a 3.6-liter V-6 rated at 278 horsepower.  The power plant provided substantial oomph when asked, and I had no trouble tackling uphill runs in the Sierra Nevada.

For a pickup, even a midsize, I considered the ride surprisingly quiet and smooth.  Fuel mileage was so-so at 18 miles per gallon in the city and 22 mpg on the highway.

Bonus points: Quick-working automatic high beams and an easy-to-see touchscreen.

The bottom line on the sticker was a just-about-right $43,164.

Overall, the Tacoma remains a strong choice for those who don't need a monster-size pickup.

Having one might just buy you a ticket into the Hardcore Pickup Drivers Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment