Thursday, May 16, 2019

2019 Ford Ranger: return of the midsize marvel

Mark Glover’s AutoGlo car reviews also can be seen in the Northern & Central California Cruisin’ News magazine published monthly out of Folsom, California.

Sacramento, California -- Generally speaking, I'm not the truck driving type ... not because I don't like them, but my current urban/suburban lifestyle doesn't necessarily lend itself to parking a sizable pickup in the driveway.

Unless, say, I need to pick up a full-size couch at the furniture store.

But a recent week in the new 2019 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCrew 4X2 went a long way toward tempting me to consider a long-term relationship with a pickup.

The Ranger is back after a seven-year layoff.  With pickups a hot-selling item these days, Ford figured a midsize truck would be a popular option for folks who don't necessarily need a work site/ranch-size truck.

Works for me.  With its easy-to-handle size and a cargo-convenient, five-foot bed, the Ranger hits the right notes for the urban/suburban jungle.  And yes, it would be a good addition to anyone managing ranch acreage or a busy building site.

My tester looked sharp in "Hot Pepper Red" exterior paint and attractive sculpting on the front end.

As a driver, the 2.3-liter, turbo-4 engine made significant noise in the low gears but settled into a nice rhythm in freeway cruise mode.  Also, the ride was considerably truck-like in low revs, but smoothed out in the higher end.

Performance was no problem with the 270-horsepower power plant giving me all I needed when it was time to enter the freeway wars.  Hill climbs were likewise brisk and relatively effortless.  The Ranger held the line well on twisty mountain roads.

Fuel mileage on my ride was 21 miles per gallon in the city and 26 mpg on the highway.  The tester's bottom line price of $36,190 was pretty much spot-on, given the solid safety/security/drive-assist features; those included hill-start assist, cross-traffic alert and lane-keeping assist. My ride also had the Sport Appearance Package.

Dash controls were thoughtfully laid out, and interior space in the back of the passenger cabin was pretty good for a midsize truck.

One annoyance was a quick-on-the-draw pre-collision sensing system that lit up behind my steering wheel a couple of times when a vehicle well ahead of me was making a normal turn into a driveway.  I appreciate a warning, but truth be told, I was never in danger of an imminent crash.

Overall, it's good to see the Ranger back on the road.  It's a nice effort by Ford, offering a sensible truck option for those who like their pickups a little less large.

No comments:

Post a Comment