Thursday, March 2, 2023

Ford Expedition sized just right for big-time endeavors

Mark Glover’s AutoGlo car reviews can be seen here and in the Cruisin’ News, "Oregon, Nevada and California's classic auto news & marketplace."

Sacramento, California -- Charged with transporting five musicians and their instruments, who ya gonna call?

For my assignment, the Ford Expedition Limited 4X4 three-row sport-utility vehicle did the trick ... with ease.

Yes, it's big.  Yes, it gets only 16 miles per gallon in the city and 22 mpg on the highway. Yes, the bottom line on the tester's sticker was a hefty $83,000.

And it was just what I needed for the job.  I'm guessing that Expedition buyers with similarly large people and cargo needs feel the same way.

For all its bulk, the Expedition does not drive like a truck.  Not even close, actually.

At 70 miles per hour, the tester was smooth as butter, and quiet to boot.  Steering was precise and perfectly balanced.  I never felt like the vehicle was getting the better of me.  It rode between the lines with no quiver.

Power comes from a turbo 3.5-liter V-6 rated at 400 horsepower and 480 foot-pounds of torque (at 2,250 rpm). Plenty of muscle to spare.

Wow, was it dressed up!

Perks by the score, including ambient lighting, tri-zone climate control, remote start, a hands-free liftgate and a heated steering wheel.  Multiple driving-enhancement features also were part of the deal on my sizable ride.

For my purposes, the sliding/folding second-row seats made for easier passenger loading.  At the back end, the third row seats were power folding, clearing serious space for large cargo.

Ford has taken its lumps for producing the Expedition in this day and age of electric and hybrid vehicles. But given its ability to handle certain tasks, I confess that I'm grateful for the services it provided me during my week in the vehicle.

For the big jobs, size matters.  And the Expedition has size in spades

No comments:

Post a Comment